Sunday, July 23, 2006

I have made it my mantra to say, "That's not my learning style."

And wearing it like a badge, I refuse to participate in "video learning." But today the message was to be just that. I could leave, but I stayed. I was always a sucker for Joseph in the Old Testament.

And I heard the word I was loathe (?) to hear--reconciliation. It means more than a husband and wife getting back together. It meant fixing brokenness--maybe in ways we didn't expect. And then he said these words: "It doesn't mean you won't go your separate ways. It means you have to clean out the wound, make your part in it right." He told us to go to the one who has been wounded by me or has done the wounding and say, "I regret that our relationship has come to this place, and I'm sorry." Maybe nothing would be made right, but the purpose of reconciliation is to put it out there so God can do the work, so God can cleanse the wound--whichever heart is wounded.

I followed instructions--not wanting to cry, but I did--and I spoke the words (again? for the hundredth? the thousandth? time). This time it was different; it was acceptance and ending.

So maybe I did learn something in video class today; how to let go and say goodbye and let God--all the cliches that I rebel against.

I'll be like Joseph today. You may mean if for evil, maybe I did too. But God means it for good. I'll let him be in charge of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home